Quantcast

Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Michal Gdula-2 Michal Gdula-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Dear Confocalists,

Has anybody experience of spectral imaging on Zeiss Lsm700? Is it possible
on all variants of this microscope?

I used to work on LSM510meta whose metadector allowed me to use up to 6
different fluorophores (i.e DAPI, Alexa488, Alexa555, Texas Red, Cy5,
Alexa680). I can potentially use LSM700 and would like to be sure if it has
all capabilities of LSM510meta.

Best regards,

Michal

Dr Michal Gdula

Postdoctoral Researcher at Boston University
Armstrong, Brian Armstrong, Brian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Hi Michal, if I remember correctly the LSM700 configuration does not offer a spectral detector option.
You would need to have access to an LSM710 with Quasar and 34 channel detector for spectral capabilities like the 510META you are used to.

Contact your Zeiss rep to be sure.

Cheers,  

Brian D Armstrong PhD
Assistant Research Professor
Light Microscopy Core
Beckman Research Institute
City of Hope
Dept of Neuroscience
1450 E Duarte Rd
Duarte, CA 91010
626-256-4673 x62872

http://www.cityofhope.org/research/support/Light-Microscopy-Digital-Imaging/Pages/default.aspx


-----Original Message-----
From: Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Michal Gdula
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:44 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Dear Confocalists,

Has anybody experience of spectral imaging on Zeiss Lsm700? Is it possible
on all variants of this microscope?

I used to work on LSM510meta whose metadector allowed me to use up to 6
different fluorophores (i.e DAPI, Alexa488, Alexa555, Texas Red, Cy5,
Alexa680). I can potentially use LSM700 and would like to be sure if it has
all capabilities of LSM510meta.

Best regards,

Michal

Dr Michal Gdula

Postdoctoral Researcher at Boston University


---------------------------------------------------------------------
SECURITY/CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING:  
This message and any attachments are intended solely for the individual or entity to which they are addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law (e.g., personal health information, research data, financial information). Because this e-mail has been sent without encryption, individuals other than the intended recipient may be able to view the information, forward it to others or tamper with the information without the knowledge or consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited. If you received the communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and deleting the message and any accompanying files from your system. If, due to the security risks, you do not wish to receive further communications via e-mail, please reply to this message and inform the sender that you do not wish to receive further e-mail from the sender.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
G. Esteban Fernandez G. Esteban Fernandez
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Indeed.  My 700 has no spectral capabilties but my 710 does.

-Esteban



On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Armstrong, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Hi Michal, if I remember correctly the LSM700 configuration does not offer a spectral detector option.
> You would need to have access to an LSM710 with Quasar and 34 channel detector for spectral capabilities like the 510META you are used to.
>
> Contact your Zeiss rep to be sure.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian D Armstrong PhD
> Assistant Research Professor
> Light Microscopy Core
> Beckman Research Institute
> City of Hope
> Dept of Neuroscience
> 1450 E Duarte Rd
> Duarte, CA 91010
> 626-256-4673 x62872
>
> http://www.cityofhope.org/research/support/Light-Microscopy-Digital-Imaging/Pages/default.aspx
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Michal Gdula
> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:44 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging
>
> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Dear Confocalists,
>
> Has anybody experience of spectral imaging on Zeiss Lsm700? Is it possible
> on all variants of this microscope?
>
> I used to work on LSM510meta whose metadector allowed me to use up to 6
> different fluorophores (i.e DAPI, Alexa488, Alexa555, Texas Red, Cy5,
> Alexa680). I can potentially use LSM700 and would like to be sure if it has
> all capabilities of LSM510meta.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michal
>
> Dr Michal Gdula
>
> Postdoctoral Researcher at Boston University
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> SECURITY/CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING:
> This message and any attachments are intended solely for the individual or entity to which they are addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law (e.g., personal health information, research data, financial information). Because this e-mail has been sent without encryption, individuals other than the intended recipient may be able to view the information, forward it to others or tamper with the information without the knowledge or consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited. If you received the communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and deleting the message and any accompanying files from your system. If, due to the security risks, you do not wish to receive further communications via e-mail, please reply to this message and inform the sender that you do not wish to receive further e-mail from the sender.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
Michal Gdula-2 Michal Gdula-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

In reply to this post by Michal Gdula-2
*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Thank you for your fast response!

This was also what the owner of the microscope claimed, however in the
specification from zeiss site it is wrtten:
"Spectral detection Simultaneously in two confocal reflection channels, with high-
sensitivity, low-noise PMTs,
adjustable (increment 1 nm)"
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567BE00472A5C/EmbedTitelIntern/LSM700_Specificatio
n/$File/LSM700_Specification.pdf

and it is also repeated in the product brochure - 2 mistakes in Zeiss
documentation? additionaly in manual are information on scanning in lambda
mode... I will try to call Zeiss, but still hopes to get in touch with somebody who
used LSM700 for spectral imaging...

Regards,

Michal
leoncio vergara leoncio vergara
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Michal, I was intrigued by your insistence despite the opinions against so I could not resist the temptation to look at the LSM700 brochure and indeed it is advertised as Lambda Scan capable by means of the VSD (variable secondary dichroic beamsplitter)... so I think you might be in the right track... hope your Zeiss rep gives you a positive response, good luck


Leoncio A. Vergara MD
Assistant Director
Center for Biomedical Engineering
Assistant Professor
Microbiology and Immunology
University of Texas Medical Branch
409-750-2153 (cell)

-----Original Message-----
From: Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Michal Gdula
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:01 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Thank you for your fast response!

This was also what the owner of the microscope claimed, however in the
specification from zeiss site it is wrtten:
"Spectral detection Simultaneously in two confocal reflection channels, with high-
sensitivity, low-noise PMTs,
adjustable (increment 1 nm)"
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567BE00472A5C/EmbedTitelIntern/LSM700_Specificatio
n/$File/LSM700_Specification.pdf

and it is also repeated in the product brochure - 2 mistakes in Zeiss
documentation? additionaly in manual are information on scanning in lambda
mode... I will try to call Zeiss, but still hopes to get in touch with somebody who
used LSM700 for spectral imaging...

Regards,

Michal
Axel Kurt Preuss Axel Kurt Preuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

Sure it does spectral imaging, but be careful with the upper end of long wavelenghts. Due to VSD config it cannot lambda scan  as far into the red as one would wish for

Thanks
   Cheers

Axel
Sent from +6592715622
—————
Axel K Preuss, PhD,
Central Imaging, IMCB, A*Star, 61 Biopolis Dr, 6-19B, Singapore 138673


On Apr 30, 2011, at 8:50 AM, "Vergara, Leoncio A." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Michal, I was intrigued by your insistence despite the opinions against so I could not resist the temptation to look at the LSM700 brochure and indeed it is advertised as Lambda Scan capable by means of the VSD (variable secondary dichroic beamsplitter)... so I think you might be in the right track... hope your Zeiss rep gives you a positive response, good luck
>
>
> Leoncio A. Vergara MD
> Assistant Director
> Center for Biomedical Engineering
> Assistant Professor
> Microbiology and Immunology
> University of Texas Medical Branch
> 409-750-2153 (cell)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Michal Gdula
> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:01 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging
>
> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Thank you for your fast response!
>
> This was also what the owner of the microscope claimed, however in the
> specification from zeiss site it is wrtten:
> "Spectral detection Simultaneously in two confocal reflection channels, with high-
> sensitivity, low-noise PMTs,
> adjustable (increment 1 nm)"
> http://www.zeiss.com/C12567BE00472A5C/EmbedTitelIntern/LSM700_Specificatio
> n/$File/LSM700_Specification.pdf
>
> and it is also repeated in the product brochure - 2 mistakes in Zeiss
> documentation? additionaly in manual are information on scanning in lambda
> mode... I will try to call Zeiss, but still hopes to get in touch with somebody who
> used LSM700 for spectral imaging...
>
> Regards,
>
> Michal

Note: This message may contain confidential information. If this Email/Fax has been sent to you by mistake, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Thank you.
Cammer, Michael Cammer, Michael
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

The internal detectors on our 710 system only practically collect to 740 nm.  From our lab web pages:

Three internal detectors have adjustable gates for wavelength ranges. They collect from below the shortest wavelength laser on the system at 405 nm to (practically) 740 nm. According to the software controls, the internal detectors collect up through 758 nm. However, testing with reflection mode with the longest wavelength physical gate, collection is practical only to 740 nm. After 740 nm collection intensity falls rapidly and is not detectable above 750 nm.

_________________________________________
Michael Cammer, Assistant Research Scientist
Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine
Lab: (212) 263-3208  Cell: (914) 309-3270

________________________________________
From: Confocal Microscopy List [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Axel Kurt Preuss [[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 10:10 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

Sure it does spectral imaging, but be careful with the upper end of long wavelenghts. Due to VSD config it cannot lambda scan  as far into the red as one would wish for

Thanks
   Cheers

Axel
Sent from +6592715622
—————
Axel K Preuss, PhD,
Central Imaging, IMCB, A*Star, 61 Biopolis Dr, 6-19B, Singapore 138673


On Apr 30, 2011, at 8:50 AM, "Vergara, Leoncio A." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Michal, I was intrigued by your insistence despite the opinions against so I could not resist the temptation to look at the LSM700 brochure and indeed it is advertised as Lambda Scan capable by means of the VSD (variable secondary dichroic beamsplitter)... so I think you might be in the right track... hope your Zeiss rep gives you a positive response, good luck
>
>
> Leoncio A. Vergara MD
> Assistant Director
> Center for Biomedical Engineering
> Assistant Professor
> Microbiology and Immunology
> University of Texas Medical Branch
> 409-750-2153 (cell)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Michal Gdula
> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:01 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging
>
> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Thank you for your fast response!
>
> This was also what the owner of the microscope claimed, however in the
> specification from zeiss site it is wrtten:
> "Spectral detection Simultaneously in two confocal reflection channels, with high-
> sensitivity, low-noise PMTs,
> adjustable (increment 1 nm)"
> http://www.zeiss.com/C12567BE00472A5C/EmbedTitelIntern/LSM700_Specificatio
> n/$File/LSM700_Specification.pdf
>
> and it is also repeated in the product brochure - 2 mistakes in Zeiss
> documentation? additionaly in manual are information on scanning in lambda
> mode... I will try to call Zeiss, but still hopes to get in touch with somebody who
> used LSM700 for spectral imaging...
>
> Regards,
>
> Michal

Note: This message may contain confidential information. If this Email/Fax has been sent to you by mistake, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
=================================
G. Esteban Fernandez G. Esteban Fernandez
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

In reply to this post by leoncio vergara
*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

The 700 does have a continuously variable dichroic so it is posible to
do emission wavelength fingerprinting in series but not traditional
spectral analysis of multiple wavelengths in parallel. To do spectral
imaging on a routine basis the 710 is the way to go.

-Esteban


On Friday, April 29, 2011, Vergara, Leoncio A. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Michal, I was intrigued by your insistence despite the opinions against so I could not resist the temptation to look at the LSM700 brochure and indeed it is advertised as Lambda Scan capable by means of the VSD (variable secondary dichroic beamsplitter)... so I think you might be in the right track... hope your Zeiss rep gives you a positive response, good luck
>
>
> Leoncio A. Vergara MD
> Assistant Director
> Center for Biomedical Engineering
> Assistant Professor
> Microbiology and Immunology
> University of Texas Medical Branch
> 409-750-2153 (cell)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Michal Gdula
> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:01 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging
>
> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Thank you for your fast response!
>
> This was also what the owner of the microscope claimed, however in the
> specification from zeiss site it is wrtten:
> "Spectral detection Simultaneously in two confocal reflection channels, with high-
> sensitivity, low-noise PMTs,
> adjustable (increment 1 nm)"
> http://www.zeiss.com/C12567BE00472A5C/EmbedTitelIntern/LSM700_Specificatio
> n/$File/LSM700_Specification.pdf
>
> and it is also repeated in the product brochure - 2 mistakes in Zeiss
> documentation? additionaly in manual are information on scanning in lambda
> mode... I will try to call Zeiss, but still hopes to get in touch with somebody who
> used LSM700 for spectral imaging...
>
> Regards,
>
> Michal
>
Axel Kurt Preuss Axel Kurt Preuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Let s just stick to the definition of lambda scanning, and that is -scanning lambda ( :) )

This means using a certain  excitation wavelength X and scanning the emission spectrum of the signal we produce.

This can be done with the 700, very nicely indeed, for example by using ROI based lambda scanning. Of course one scan the whole image too. If one feels it makes sense...

But one has to realize that the 700 has several limiting factors
1) the variable dichroic, how far it can move "up" to long wavelength
2) any optical filters which are or one chooses to have or have not in addition in the beam path to the PMT.
3) it s fixed gate (primary dichroic) (yes, there IS a main beamsplitter!)


Important for the discussion here is the capability to lambda scan into the red, and, as I pointed out in a post before,  it aint easy to scan far into the red. Yes, lambda scanning is possible, and very nicely, but we have to know the limitations into the red.

To be more precise, as Seichow and Goetze from Zeiss write, "the new "Variable Secondary Dichroic" (VSD) splits the emission  between two detectors (in the 2 channel configuration only). The VSD is a substrate coated with a  special dichroic gradient layer. Embedded in a new detection beam path design the VSD is mounted  on a motorized slider, and depending on its position, it can be a short pass/long reflectance dichroic at any wavelength between 420 and 630 nm. "

 Please note the "630nm". It is hard to imagine to lambda scan above the 630nm, as it will not be possible to differentiate -in a lambda scan- 650 from 700nm, as BOTH are, as we all  know, or should know, above 630nm, and both get reflected to the same PMT.

For anybody who is NOT interested in this color range, lambda scanning with the 700 should be sufficient.

Makes sense?

Axel Preuss, Central Imaging at IMCB, Singapore

-----Original Message-----
From: Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of G. Esteban Fernandez
Sent: Monday, 2 May, 2011 5:37 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

The 700 does have a continuously variable dichroic so it is posible to do emission wavelength fingerprinting in series but not traditional spectral analysis of multiple wavelengths in parallel. To do spectral imaging on a routine basis the 710 is the way to go.

-Esteban


On Friday, April 29, 2011, Vergara, Leoncio A. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Michal, I was intrigued by your insistence despite the opinions
> against so I could not resist the temptation to look at the LSM700
> brochure and indeed it is advertised as Lambda Scan capable by means
> of the VSD (variable secondary dichroic beamsplitter)... so I think
> you might be in the right track... hope your Zeiss rep gives you a
> positive response, good luck
>
>
> Leoncio A. Vergara MD
> Assistant Director
> Center for Biomedical Engineering
> Assistant Professor
> Microbiology and Immunology
> University of Texas Medical Branch
> 409-750-2153 (cell)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Confocal Microscopy List
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Michal Gdula
> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:01 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging
>
> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> *****
>
> Thank you for your fast response!
>
> This was also what the owner of the microscope claimed, however in the
> specification from zeiss site it is wrtten:
> "Spectral detection Simultaneously in two confocal reflection
> channels, with high- sensitivity, low-noise PMTs, adjustable
> (increment 1 nm)"
> http://www.zeiss.com/C12567BE00472A5C/EmbedTitelIntern/LSM700_Specific
> atio
> n/$File/LSM700_Specification.pdf
>
> and it is also repeated in the product brochure - 2 mistakes in Zeiss
> documentation? additionaly in manual are information on scanning in
> lambda mode... I will try to call Zeiss, but still hopes to get in
> touch with somebody who used LSM700 for spectral imaging...
>
> Regards,
>
> Michal
>

Note: This message may contain confidential information. If this Email/Fax has been sent to you by mistake, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Thank you.
Aryeh Weiss Aryeh Weiss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

An important point about spectral scanning with the LSM700 is that you
are not measuring emission within a small spectral bandwidth  centered
on some wavelength. Instead, you are measuring (ideally) with a high
pass in one detector and low pass in the other. This means that your
various lambda points are not independent, and you must be careful when
interpreting such measurements. In principle you can derive the spectrum
from what you measure (eg by taking differences), but you will have
difficulty seeing weak spectral features which are near much stronger
features.

--aryeh

On 5/3/11 9:02 AM, Axel Kurt Preuss wrote:

> ***** To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go
> to: http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy *****
>
> Let s just stick to the definition of lambda scanning, and that is
> -scanning lambda ( :) )
>
> This means using a certain  excitation wavelength X and scanning the
> emission spectrum of the signal we produce.
>
> This can be done with the 700, very nicely indeed, for example by
> using ROI based lambda scanning. Of course one scan the whole image
> too. If one feels it makes sense...
>
> But one has to realize that the 700 has several limiting factors 1)
> the variable dichroic, how far it can move "up" to long wavelength 2)
> any optical filters which are or one chooses to have or have not in
> addition in the beam path to the PMT. 3) it s fixed gate (primary
> dichroic) (yes, there IS a main beamsplitter!)
>
>
> Important for the discussion here is the capability to lambda scan
> into the red, and, as I pointed out in a post before,  it aint easy
> to scan far into the red. Yes, lambda scanning is possible, and very
> nicely, but we have to know the limitations into the red.
>
> To be more precise, as Seichow and Goetze from Zeiss write, "the new
> "Variable Secondary Dichroic" (VSD) splits the emission  between two
> detectors (in the 2 channel configuration only). The VSD is a
> substrate coated with a  special dichroic gradient layer. Embedded in
> a new detection beam path design the VSD is mounted  on a motorized
> slider, and depending on its position, it can be a short pass/long
> reflectance dichroic at any wavelength between 420 and 630 nm. "
>
> Please note the "630nm". It is hard to imagine to lambda scan above
> the 630nm, as it will not be possible to differentiate -in a lambda
> scan- 650 from 700nm, as BOTH are, as we all  know, or should know,
> above 630nm, and both get reflected to the same PMT.
>
> For anybody who is NOT interested in this color range, lambda
> scanning with the 700 should be sufficient.
>
> Makes sense?
>
> Axel Preuss, Central Imaging at IMCB, Singapore
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Confocal Microscopy List
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of G. Esteban
> Fernandez Sent: Monday, 2 May, 2011 5:37 AM To:
> [hidden email] Subject: Question about Zeiss LSM700
> and spectral imaging
>
> ***** To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go
> to: http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy *****
>
> The 700 does have a continuously variable dichroic so it is posible
> to do emission wavelength fingerprinting in series but not
> traditional spectral analysis of multiple wavelengths in parallel. To
> do spectral imaging on a routine basis the 710 is the way to go.
>
> -Esteban
>
>
> On Friday, April 29, 2011, Vergara, Leoncio A.<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> ***** To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go
>> to: http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy *****
>>
>> Michal, I was intrigued by your insistence despite the opinions
>> against so I could not resist the temptation to look at the LSM700
>> brochure and indeed it is advertised as Lambda Scan capable by
>> means of the VSD (variable secondary dichroic beamsplitter)... so I
>> think you might be in the right track... hope your Zeiss rep gives
>> you a positive response, good luck
>>
>>
>> Leoncio A. Vergara MD Assistant Director Center for Biomedical
>> Engineering Assistant Professor Microbiology and Immunology
>> University of Texas Medical Branch 409-750-2153 (cell)
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Confocal Microscopy List
>> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Michal
>> Gdula Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:01 PM To:
>> [hidden email] Subject: Re: Question about Zeiss
>> LSM700 and spectral imaging
>>
>> ***** To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go
>> to: http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy *****
>>
>> Thank you for your fast response!
>>
>> This was also what the owner of the microscope claimed, however in
>> the specification from zeiss site it is wrtten: "Spectral detection
>> Simultaneously in two confocal reflection channels, with high-
>> sensitivity, low-noise PMTs, adjustable (increment 1 nm)"
>> http://www.zeiss.com/C12567BE00472A5C/EmbedTitelIntern/LSM700_Specific
>>
>>
atio

>> n/$File/LSM700_Specification.pdf
>>
>> and it is also repeated in the product brochure - 2 mistakes in
>> Zeiss documentation? additionaly in manual are information on
>> scanning in lambda mode... I will try to call Zeiss, but still
>> hopes to get in touch with somebody who used LSM700 for spectral
>> imaging...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michal
>>



--
Aryeh Weiss
School of Engineering
Bar Ilan University
Ramat Gan 52900 Israel

Ph:  972-3-5317638
FAX: 972-3-7384051
Jeremy Adler-4 Jeremy Adler-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Meeting on Live Imaging at Uppsala University - Sweden

In reply to this post by leoncio vergara
*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Invitation to everyone


On May 25th there is a half day meeting at Uppsala U in Sweden on live imaging

details below

http://www.scilifelab.uu.se/Technology_Platforms/BioVis/BioVissymposium/



Jeremy Adler
Genetics & Pathology
Rudbeckslaboratoriet
Daghammersköljdsväg 20
751 85 Uppsala
Sweden

0046 (0)18 471 4607
andywong andywong
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Philips 300 TEM for free

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Hi, all,

We are decommisioning a good working order Philips 300 TEM. Please
contact me if you are interested in taking it for free.  However, you
will need to be responisble for the cost of dismantling and shipping
of the scope. We need to move it before the end of the month.

Thanks

Andre





Andre Wong,
Senior Manager, Imaging Facility,
Faculty of Dentistry, University of BC
2199, Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC
Canada, V6T 1Z3.

Tel. 604-822-2873 Fax. 604-822-3562
Konz, Richard Konz, Richard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Philips 300 TEM for free

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

WOW!  A Philips TEM 300.  Donate it to a museum.  Loved that instrument.

Best to all,

-Rich


Richard F. Konz, Jr.
Assistant Professor
Department of Medicine
Director, Flow Cytometry Core Facility
UMASS Medical School
55 Lake Avenue North
Room S5-322
Worcester, MA  01655
Office:  508-856-1598
Lab:  508-856-3276
Mobil:  508-868-6021
Lab Web Link:  http://www.umassmed.edu/facslab/index.aspx
My Faculty Page:  http://www.umassmed.edu/ivp/faculty/Konz.cfm
________________________________________
From: Confocal Microscopy List [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of andre wong [[hidden email]]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:06 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Philips 300 TEM for free

*****
To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
*****

Hi, all,

We are decommisioning a good working order Philips 300 TEM. Please
contact me if you are interested in taking it for free.  However, you
will need to be responisble for the cost of dismantling and shipping
of the scope. We need to move it before the end of the month.

Thanks

Andre





Andre Wong,
Senior Manager, Imaging Facility,
Faculty of Dentistry, University of BC
2199, Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC
Canada, V6T 1Z3.

Tel. 604-822-2873       Fax. 604-822-3562
jcathcar jcathcar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about Zeiss LSM700 and spectral imaging

In reply to this post by Michal Gdula-2
Perhaps a little late, but you can indeed do some spectral scanning/unmixing on the LSM700. It has a continuously variable secondary dichroic (ie. spectral grating) in front of the pmt's. Using the Zen software you can access the controls from the Smart Setup panel. One limitation you will find though is that it only allows you to set up 4 channels at a time so if your specimen is multiplexed to a greater degree you may have to do a 2-step acquisition or something.

Judy
Advanced Optical Microscopy Facility
Ontario Cancer Institute, PMH
Toronto, ON
Loading...